Mandy@AU

We are looking for feedback on the Voice Chat feature

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

We have a voice chat feature in game at the moment (version 0.7.0.4150) and we are looking for your feedback on it to help us improve. It is in the very early stages of development, so you can look at it as a test version and know that it will change over time.

Currently it is only available while you are in a private space. 

If you open chat and have a headset/mic plugged in you will be able to hear others in the space and you can chat to them too! Once you close chat you can no longer hear them or chat to them.

We know this means you can't walk and talk right now with this test version...this is something we would want to improve in the future.

We want to know things like:

• How stable is it- can you always hear your friends clearly?
  • How easy is it to hear everyone if they are talking at the same time
  • Would you ever want voice chat to be global? i.e. in a public space and you can hear everyone.
  • Is this something you would use a lot?

So have a go and then come back here to let us know what you think, we really value your input :)

Sorry only use text chat

What if you  can invite somebody in a group like what home did ? 

This is a very good Idear for Au . I like it very much. Only one thing is that everybody can here you. It would be better if you can join a friend in a private voice server. 

But well done

Greetings Moritz

Actually on Home, if you were in any public space, you had to accept an group invite to hear any 1 that actually had A mic to talk. It didn't matter if you owned A mic or not.

As for any private space, anybody could hear the person or people talking. Again it didn't matter if you have A mic or not lolz

And I guess I'll answer the questions anyways....

How stable is it- can you always hear your friends clearly?

It was barely stable on Home so I Don't know if you guys could ever improve where they could not. And whenever I actually did agree to listen to anybody, I barely was able to hear them 40% of the time lolz

How easy is it to hear everyone if they are talking at the same time

Uh....if people are all talking at the same time, then what's the point lolz

Would you ever want voice chat to be global? i.e. in a public space and you can hear everyone.

Not to be blunt or anything but how is this even A question. Who in their right mind would ever actually want it to be global?!?! Why in Da would ya ever want to hear everybody, because if that was the case and everybody was talking at once, then how in Da world would ya be able to even hear or even listen to anybody that you actually did wanna hear or talk to lolz

Is this something you would use a lot?

NOPE!!~~

On 7/1/2017 at 8:33 AM, JIGSAW4422 said:

Actually on Home, if you were in any public space, you had to accept an group invite to hear any 1 that actually had A mic to talk. It didn't matter if you owned A mic or not.

As for any private space, anybody could hear the person or people talking. Again it didn't matter if you have A mic or not lolz

And I guess I'll answer the questions anyways....

How stable is it- can you always hear your friends clearly?

It was barely stable on Home so I Don't know if you guys could ever improve where they could not. And whenever I actually did agree to listen to anybody, I barely was able to hear them 40% of the time lolz

How easy is it to hear everyone if they are talking at the same time

Uh....if people are all talking at the same time, then what's the point lolz

Would you ever want voice chat to be global? i.e. in a public space and you can hear everyone.

Not to be blunt or anything but how is this even A question. Who in their right mind would ever actually want it to be global?!?! Why in Da would ya ever want to hear everybody, because if that was the case and everybody was talking at once, then how in Da world would ya be able to even hear or even listen to anybody that you actually did wanna hear or talk to lolz

Is this something you would use a lot?

NOPE!!~~

I get your point here JIGSAW4422 I think voice chat should only be used in Group Chat and Private Space explicitly I remember PlayStation Home use to have voice chat in Public Server in the Closed Beta/Alpha built but they removed the public server voice chat because people were abusing it causing problem on PS Home also AU could have the option to mute all voice chat in the server not just one individual player if you don't feel like listening to voice chat I mean voice chat is useful if you're playing a game and can't chat with your keyboard overall it not a thing to me...

20 hours ago, Un0-0n3unique said:

I get your point here JIGSAW4422 I think voice chat should only be used in Group Chat and Private Space explicitly I remember PlayStation Home use to have voice chat in Public Server in the Closed Beta/Alpha built but they removed the public server voice chat because people were abusing it causing problem on PS Home also AU could have the option to mute all voice chat in the server not just one individual player if you don't feel like listening to voice chat I mean voice chat is useful if you're playing a game and can't chat with your keyboard overall it not a thing to me...

Good point, having the option to be able to Mute it out SHOULD be an option. Otherwise people would most likely try to spam chat people like they try to spam message people.

Thank you for your feedback so far! It's helpful to hear how you would use it or if you would choose not to use it at all.

Sorry for the late reply to this thread Mandy.  A few of us discovered the voice chat in a private space by accident one day.  A friend had left their mic on and I heard someone coughing and before long we had a couple of people talking in that space.  It was good and bad.  One person had a good mic and we could hear him pretty clearly.  The other person had something wrong with their mic or something happened and his voice sounded distorted.  He has quite a pronounced UK regional accent as well so that, combined with the distortion made it difficult to make out what he was saying.  We tried it again in a different space and another friend joined and we could hear her clear as day.

I suppose having the voice chat is good in some ways - it brings us closer together around the world and is good for those who can't type quickly or don't have a keyboard.  On the negative side, when you have more than two people, they often talk at the same time so it's hard to hear what people are saying.  The other thing is we all have different accents, so sometimes it can be hard to understand each other, especially as we can't see each other's faces when we are speaking.

I think if everyone has a good mic set up and learns how to voice chat in a mature way, it is a very useful feature for AU to have.  I wouldn't mind trying it but would need to buy a new headset for the PS4 and people might not understand my accent lol.